Saturday, June 09, 2007

Odd quote of the day...

So in reading this book (some of which is useful, but most of which seems to be tangential to my purposes), I came across the following sentence, which contains one of the oddest parenthetical comment I've seen in non-fiction in a very long time:

"it is impossible therefore to think of the human individual without the family, and in all families authority rests in the male because (says Bodin) the woman is the physical, moral and intellectual inferior (may he rest in pain)" (Simon Shepherd, Marlowe and the Politics of Elizabethan Theatre, 160).

I get what Shepherd is trying to do here, but it still struck me as a terribly odd thing to say. Then again, I may have to appropriate it and use it... though probably not in an academic publication.

No comments: