Monday, July 28, 2008

The Meaning of Life

Every few months, I - and, I suspect, many others - wonder what, precisely, it is that I'm making out of my life. What it is that I really want to do. Do I want to spend the rest of my life devoted to the largely insular world of academia? Not particularly. Devoted to my students? That I could do.

It brings back, again and again, the recognition that I do what I do because of the students. Not because of the texts, not because of Shakespeare, but because of the students. Because it allows me to teach them how to think critically, not about the texts, but about the world. About what they are told - even by me. I simply use literature as the medium.

But my secret heart - well, perhaps not so secret - wants desperately to create that medium. To create something that will do by itself what I struggle to teach. To change not the world, but minds. Because, ultimately, it is the changing of minds that will change the world.

And the thing to which I come back, every time, is the idea that there is no binary. There can be no binary in a world made of color and light and sound and touch. And that those who live with binaries ultimately condemn themselves to exactly that which they hate and fear.

This is not a new point. I do not claim it is. However, it is one that needs revisitation. There are thousands, perhaps millions, of people who do not recognize the hypocrisy inherent in themselves, in their religion, and in the ideologies they purport. I hope, someday, to see a majority of rational, thoughtful people who are able to place their faith in their own logic rather than in something external to themselves. Whether they want to call that part of themselves god or reason is unimportant, but until we as a species stop attributing right and wrong based on illogical and hallucinatory fairy tales, we will not be able to work as a cohesive species.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No "accidents" in life...

Last night in the hospital's playroom, one little boy called out for my attention. "Teacher, can I play with this?" I am only a volunteer, not a teacher. But his "teacher" call put a smile in my heart and made me feel good. It was easier not to correct him, but later I felt badly.

Now, I wake up this a.m. and the first post I see is from a real teacher/prof. So now I apologize to you for the imposter thing. :-)

But asking your "forgiveness" is only secondary to my main request: Would you please, please, please write YOUR book; topic: 'How to think for yourself.' Young people need it because they were not taught by their parents. Old people need it because, well, they were never taught as well. Hence our domino society.

Thank you for expanding the minds of those in your world.

take care,
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
Gift copy at: www.noexpertsneeded.com

KMSB said...

I don't think there is such a thing as an "Imposter Teacher." Everyone, in some capacity, is a teacher, whether in a classroom or life or both. Anyone - like you - who cares enough to extend a hand or a word to someone, to make their lives better or give them enlightenment, is a teacher. No bad feelings necessary.